JOB SUMMARY: The MRI Technologist performs all MRI procedures in accordance with established department policies and procedures to ensure the best possible patient care services are delivered. Participates in on-call rotation.
1. Performs all magnetic resonance imaging procedures according to established department protocolsa. Performs appropriate volume of procedures according to patient load by shiftb. Ensures that the correct patient information and technical settings are entered prior to execution of the procedurec. Prepares and administers intravenous contrast media according to established protocolsd. Performs venipuncture using sterile techniquee. Demonstrates a working knowledge of cross-sectional anatomyf. Processes, records, and archives images for evaluation, interpretation, and maintenance purposesg. Completes filming of all cases in a timely fashion according to radiologists, requirementsh. Completes processes to send image data to PACS
2. Performs all tasks associated with the proper execution of a MR examination in accordance with the established department and hospital policies and proceduresa. Accepts assignments from supervisor in positive manner; recognizes and performs duties that need to be accomplished although not routineb. Restocks and maintains assigned work area/equipment in an orderly fashionc. Assists in movement of patients to and from wheelchairs, stretchers, beds, and imaging table (uses appropriate restraint devises as needed)d. Participates in on-call coverage as needed (displays flexibility, volunteers to work odd shifts as workload demands)3. Performs all assigned RIS transactions to ensure accurate patient and procedure information is recorded in a timely fashion for medical records and billinga. Completes patient exam in RISb. Reviews martial and exam charges, exits/corrects as necessary
4. Performs visual maintenance checks on all equipment used and reports all malfunctions to appropriate personnela. Performs quality assurance proceduresb. Provides clear concise information regarding mechanical problems and service needsc. Records all equipment downtime in department log and notifies appropriate personnel according to department proceduresd. Knowledge of MRI safety procedures of proper shutdown sequence of system5. Communicates with hospital staff and physicians in the performance of MR procedures to exchange pertinent patient informationa. Assists in scheduling of routine and emergency examsb. Handles calls with courtesy and efficiencyc. Communicates identified patient related problems with appropriate chain of command
6. Demonstrates competency in performing all procedures, age range from neonatal to geriatrica. Demonstrates capability of explaining procedure to patient, considers patient's comfort during procedure, understands emotional response when procedure is completedb. Demonstrates respect for patients right to privacyc. All matters handled in confidential mannerd. Ensures patient meets criteria for a safe MRI scane. Monitor's patients to detect signs of acute anxiety or clinical difficulties f. Abides by professional code of ethics
7. Assists to identify patient and family learning needs and provides pertinent information regarding the procedure that is appropriate for age and level of learning to the patient and significant othera. Evaluates patient history for MRI capabilityb. Provides verbal education regarding procedure performed that is appropriate for age and level of learning for the patient/significant other8. Completes all documentation forms as required by departmenta. Completes incident forms and risk management forms in timely mannerb. Completes patient education and discharge forms in timely mannerc. Completes all documents as required in MR department for patient log, education, patient history9. Contributes to a positive work environment and demonstrates teamworka. Demonstrates professional attributes and effective technical skills to satisfy job expectation
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.