MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2019 Americaâ��s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under general supervision of the Nuclear Medicine Coordinator, and in accordance with guidelines, assists physicians in the diagnosis of disease by performing nuclear medicine testing which produces images of patient organs and circulating systems through the use of radiopharmaceuticals. Calibrates equipment and closely follows radiation safety guidelines to ensure quality control and limited radiation exposure to patient, self, and work area. Performs related clerical and service duties. Ensures quality and safe delivery of care to patients of all ages.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews physician orders prior to patient testing to determine procedure requested; calibrates equipment and prepares the requested volume and type of radioisotopes for injection or oral administration. Verifies radioisotope measurement, count, and dose calibration.
2. Explains nuclear medicine procedures being performed to the patient and answers any patient questions; observes patient condition during testing and informs nursing personnel and/or physicians of significant changes in the patient's condition or negative reactions.
3. Performs organ visualization procedures and function tests (e.g., thyroid uptakes, renograms, and dynamic blood flow studies) to produce scans suitable for use in the medical evaluation and diagnosis of patient's physical condition. Utilizes gamma cameras to photograph organs identified by the radioactive materials administered; scans images produced on computer screen, notes unclear areas and adjusts equipment accordingly; selects and produces desired images on film.
4. Records computer calculations and measurements of organs, blood vessels, etc., and prepares test reports along with patient scan for physician to review; investigates and supplies any additional information relative to test interpretation (e.g., patient medical history and condition) and assists in the correlation of clinical laboratory and radiologic results as they relate to the nuclear medicine procedures.
5. Orders and stocks radiopharmaceuticals in an orderly fashion; prepares and labels solutions and reagents. Maintains adequate shielding of radioactive material in storage and during transportation to testing area. Informs the Nuclear Medicine Coordinator of supply shortages and assists in inventorying sectional supplies and radiopharmaceuticals.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1. Level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of an Associate's Degree in nuclear medicine technology. Licensed to operate nuclear medicine equipment in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
2. Registry or registry eligible as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist by the American College of Radiology, NMT or the Society of Nuclear Medicine (NMTB).
1. Exposure to radiation materials within the guidelines of radiation standards. Some potentially toxic chemicals and infectious patients.
2. Constant walking and standing. Intermittent patient care environment.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Evening
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.